A waterproof backpack is a great addition to your outdoor essentials. If you are into watersports, don’t just buy a water-resistant backpack. Get a waterproof one that is capable of keeping moisture at bay. Since you are exposed to the water all the time, it makes sense to have a backpack that you know will keep all your travel essentials safe.
Also known as a dry bag, you can keep your diving essentials such as cameras, phones and spare food in this bag without worrying that it will get soaked if you accidentally dropped it in water. Don’t worry because this article will help you find the best waterproof backpack or dry bag that you can bring along to your outdoor expeditions.
We found waterproof backpacks that truly have waterproof capabilities, are durable enough to take a beating, look stylish and classy and have enough capacity to stow away many of your diving essentials and valuables. Find out below which backpacks we highly recommend.
The Many Uses of Waterproof Backpacks
Did you know that you can use these backpacks for more than just hiding your electronics when going diving? Here are the other uses of waterproof backpacks you definitely should keep in mind:
1. It keeps your wet laundry separated from your dry ones.
Diving is fun – until you get to the wet laundry. They just seem to be difficult to handle. Until you can get on with washing your dirty and wet clothes, there has to be a place to store them and keep them away from all your other stuff. A dry bag or a waterproof backpack is a great solution. Squeeze them dry, roll them up and stow them in this backpack. Close it up to keep the odor at bay. Wet laundry managed!
2. It keeps your food dry.
You should bring emergency food with you whenever you go out at your diving spot, go kayaking or fishing. You never know what can happen while you are away from the amenities, so it’s a good idea to bring lots of food for survival purposes. You can bring more food if you have a waterproof backpack. This ensures no moisture or salt water can get in your food.
3. You can use it as a pillow.
Do you want to just lounge on the beach after a long day of scuba diving? Spread out a mat and use your waterproof backpack as a makeshift pillow. That will certainly give you more comfort than just lying flat on the ground.
4. You can use it to keep you in shape while on a vacation.
Not that you need some extra exercise time when you have been so busy walking around the beach, swimming and diving but if you feel like your exercise routine could use up a bit of a boost, your dry bag can become an alternative kettlebell or weights. They keep water in just as well as they keep it out!
Best Waterproof Backpack 2019 Reviews
The following are the waterproof backpacks we recommend getting:
- Skog A Kust Waterproof Backpack
- IDRYBAG Waterproof Backpack
- Chaos Ready Waterproof Backpack
- Vitchelo 30L Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack
You can get all these features if you choose these bags:
With its rugged construction, you just know this backpack can withstand anything the outdoor life inflicts on it. Made from 500-denier PVC, a heavy-duty kind of material, it can protect your valuables not just from water but from other elements as well. The seams have been welded for complete water protection. It even features a 2-way closure system. You can roll down the top and then clip it down to get a handle on top or adjust the sides. Whatever you choose, you will always have a bag that will protect your belongings from the water.
The back of this dry bag is padded for more comfort. It also comes with D-rings at the side area that you can use to hold your other gear such as water bottle. The interior is spacious enough to stash a lot of your belongings. You can organize your electronics in here without any issues.
- This has superior water protection. It can protect your bag in case of a heavy downpour of rain and protect your belongings from splashes from waves, sand, mud, dust, dirt and snow.
- The back and the straps are padded to provide optimum comfort. The sternum strap can be adjusted to ensure proper fit.
- It comes with 2 different closure methods, ideal if you are looking for flexibility.
- It has a reflective patch, so you can see it even in the dark.
- You can use the front pockets to store your travel essentials.
- Has a good capacity.
- Comes with a guarantee.
- The bag has welded seams for superior water protection.
- The D-rings at the sides are also a nice feature.
- You can choose from a variety of color options.
- Some said it can get slightly uncomfortable when you put more stuff in it.
This rugged-looking backpack is the perfect companion to your outdoor water activities. It is made from a solid 500D vinyl-coated woven polyester guaranteed to keep water out. The seams are welded for extra waterproofing capabilities.
What sets this apart from the others is its easy-to-clean functions. Put your gear in it and just roll it down. It seals easily. Wipe the sack with a clean cloth and you are ready to use it again on your next adventure.
- This bag is made from superior material that keeps water out. It can protect your belongings from sand, snow and mud as well.
- Has a capacity of 20L and a weight of 800 g.
- The D-rings on the sides will allow you to carry more of your essentials.
- There are plenty of pockets in this bag as well. The exterior one is easier to access, so you can keep things like keys and IDs in there without issues.
- Comes in different color options.
- Has a spacious interior.
- Some said this is taller than many backpacks.
This is a 22-L backpack that boasts of Class 3 waterproof functionality in its main compartment. Even a quick submersion in water will protect your belongings. The compartment is made from 500 PVC material for superior water protection. It can also handle some abuse and can withstand the harsh effects of the elements.
It comes with 2 side pockets for easier storage of anything you need to access right away. The mesh side pockets also allow you to store water bottles.
- The roll up and buckle in the system is convenient to use.
- It truly keeps your belongings dry and safe even from sand, sharp rocks and rugged terrain.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- This bag is inexpensive, great for those on a budget.
- The inside is spacious enough to store many of your belongings.
- It is a cinch to clean. Simply wipe it down and you are good to go.
- There are customers who said this bag is on the small side.
With superior sealing and waterproof materials, it is not surprising to find this backpack one of the most top-rated out there. The design is unique and unlike all the others out there. It comes with padded straps and back and lots of outside pockets for easier access to your important stuff. It is also buoyant. It won’t easily submerge in water in case you drop it.
- Super comfortable to carry. Some parts are also breathable to prevent heat from building up.
- Has good buoyancy feature that allows it to float on water.
- This includes additional accessories such as a waterproof pouch for your phone.
- Folds down to a negligible size.
- It is bigger and more spacious than most people expect.
- The waterproof capacity is one of the best, according to customers.
- It is affordable. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty as well.
- It doesn’t come with internal compartments.
Have you decided on which of the above-mentioned backpacks to choose? Let us help you out even further:
Well-Built and Durable Choice: Skog A Kust Waterproof Backpack. You can’t go wrong with this backpack when it comes to capacity, durability and waterproof features. If you have a bit more money to spare, get this one as it will give you all the features you are looking for.
Versatile Option: IDRYBAG Waterproof Backpack. This can be used not just as a backpack you can take when you are going on your water excursions but can also be used as a travel or hiking bag as well. It holds up well against a high level of abuse.
Won’t Break the Bank: Chaos Ready Waterproof Backpack. Get this backpack if you are looking for something that will not break the bank but will still provide you with all the nifty features you are looking for in a waterproof backpack.
Reliable Waterproof Functions: Vitchelo 30L Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack. Many customers treated it roughly when taking it out in the waters and even completely submerged it but the contents inside still remained dry.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Waterproof Backpack
You should be on the hunt for the best waterproof backpack that you can rely on for all your scuba diving expeditions. With that in mind, here are a few of the factors you should consider when buying:
Waterproof bags come in different capacities. Find out how much (in liters) it can accommodate. Which one you should choose will depend on how big a backpack you want to bring. Consider which of your stuff you can’t afford to become wet. Determine how big a backpack will accommodate all your stuff that can’t get damaged by water, condensation or excess moisture.
Of course, style is a good factor to consider. Many of the waterproof backpacks today are stylish. It all boils down to personal preferences. You can look for those with a solid color or those with multiple colors. Check where the logo is located. It is better to get one that doesn’t have a glaring logo indicated in front and opt for something with a minimal design. Choose a color that will suit the outdoor life and your personal needs.
Ideally, you would want to go for those waterproof backpacks with different closure systems. Check how well it will keep the water if it ever gets submerged in water.
Can the material withstand anything that the outside world can inflict on it? Look for a material that is known for its ability to keep moisture out. One with an effective seal should also help protect your valuables from water damage. It should also be made from materials that do not scratch or fray easily. Check the inside material as well. Make sure sharp objects such as the end of your chargers or the cables of your electronics won’t easily snag.
Check how heavy the backpack is. If you are going to carry a lot of stuff with you, the bag could end up being too heavy to carry around when walking on sand or sharp rocks. Always look for something lightweight, so you still have a lot of freedom to put many things in the backpack without adding up to its weight.
Aside from the material of the actual storage area, also make sure the straps are sewn in properly so that it will not give out from the weight. Make sure the backpack itself can withstand being exposed to sharp rocks, sand and many other external elements when you are out in the beach.
When you wear it, the straps and the back should not chafe your skin. It should be made from materials that are comfortable to wear. It should also have a good length that sits on your back with ease, so you can wear it even on an extended period of time without worrying about back pain.
Additionally, you would also want to make sure you are paying just the right amount of money for it. Compare prices and decide which one is worth buying.
Are you preparing for your next diving trip? Make sure you have all your diving essentials with you. Check out which diving gear and accessories we recommend on our homepage.
In this Guide