An underwater scooter lets you become like Aquaman when diving. Diving gets a little easier as it propels you deeper into the water. A little boost underwater can’t hurt, right?
Besides, there’s an extra cool factor when it comes to using an underwater scooter. If you have one, it also makes diving an even more exciting activity than it already is. Some even come with a camera mount that you can use to take videos of all the action you are taking underwater.
Now let’s get down to finding the best underwater scooter for your needs. We checked out what the market has to offer and looked for those with the most power, durability, price and performance. Make sure you keep on reading to know which products we highly recommend.
Types of Underwater Scooters Available Today
There are actually a few underwater scooter types you can choose from. Here are the ones you can find:
1. Tow-behind underwater scooters
These are the most popular scuba scooters today because of how easy they are to use and their general affordability. They typically have handles that you can hold on to. The handles are usually located at the back or the stern of the scuba scooter. There is a propeller that sits just below you when you get on top of it. This is what propels you forward. It is safe to use as you are strapped in through a harness. These are also quite compact and easier to bring with you than other types of underwater scooters out there.
2. Wetsub Scooter
This is the biggest type of scuba scooter out there. It looks like a small submarine and is just typically used for military purposes. They aren’t as readily available in stores as the previous one as they are generally more expensive. You need to wear your full scuba outfit and gear when using this one as you will be flooded in the enclosed space of the sub. It runs using a battery source, but you can also find wetsub scooters that can be pedaled.
3. Subskimmer Scooter
This boat-like scooter can carry more people. The basic ones can accommodate 3 people there are bigger ones that can accommodate more. When inflated, it doubles as a boat but when deflated, it acts as a scuba scooter. Two thrusters propel it. Again, you also need to be in full gear when using this scooter.
Best Underwater Scooter 2019 Reviews
Now here are the underwater scooters we highly recommend:
- Yamaha Seascooters with Camera Mount Recreational Dive Series Underwater Scooter
- Yamaha Seascooters JetPilot Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter
- Sublue US WhiteShark Mix Underwater Scooter
- Yamaha Seascooters Mount Professional Dive Series Underwater Scooter
Check out what these underwater scooters have to offer:
This Yamaha RDS200 is one of the best scuba scooters today that beginner and professional divers will surely enjoy using. It can go down to as deep as 65 feet of water with 2 mph of speed. That should be enough for you to enjoy the scenery in the water. You can explore it without getting tired of swimming or diving.
It makes use of a sealed lead acid battery that has a run time of up to 1 hour when used normally. When you get tired diving and you just want to glide like a fish, use this one. It will definitely give you a lot of excitement under water.
- This underwater scooter has a good depth. With its capability of going down to up to 65 feet, this is one of the best underwater scooters around.
- It has a long battery life. You can use it continuously for up to an hour.
- It is fairly light in weight. It only weighs about 13 lbs. It doesn’t feel clunky.
- Has a good and attractive design. It seems to be built to last for a long time too. It is built to resist impact, thanks to its heavy-duty rubber hull protection feature.
- The buoyancy control chamber is removable.
- It is not as expensive as other underwater scooters out there.
- A lot of those who tried using said they did not have difficulties learning how to use it. It was easy to use underwater.
- It has a camera mount, so you can bring your action camera with you.
- Some said changing the battery is a bit difficult.
2. Yamaha Seascooters JetPilot Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter
If you only do some light diving and you also occasionally do swimming in lakes, get this one. Its depth rating is at 15.5 feet and can go as long as 1.5 hours of run time without running out of juice. It has a good speed of 2mph. It even comes with a camera mount. You can mount your GoPro on it. It is ideal not just for adults but also for children 8 years old and above.
This underwater scooter also boasts of a lot of safety features, one of which is its automatic shutoff function. There are also protective grilles that house the propeller. With its weight of 12 pounds, you shouldn’t have issues carrying it around.
- This unit is an all-around underwater equipment. You can use it in saltwater and freshwater.
- It goes as deep as 15.5 feet. It is more ideal for occasional or novice divers.
- Can be used easily by kids.
- This underwater scooter has a long battery life.
- Some said water can seep in the compartment.
The design is different from many of the underwater scooters out there. The manufacturing company made sure that its design is simple and easy to learn. Anyone can simply hop on and enjoy diving. It is portable and small and weighs only 3.5 kgs. You can easily carry it with you along with your other travel bags.
Use this to explore waters to as deep as 40m. It has a maximum speed of 3.35 mph, which is faster than some other scuba scooters out there. The batteries can run for as long as 30 minutes and is sealed effectively to prevent damage.
- This has a striking design. It even comes in different colors.
- The price is just right for its features. It is not overly expensive.
- It can go as deep as 40m.
- It is one of the most lightweight underwater scooters around. If you don’t fancy lugging around a heavy and clunky scooter along with your other travel essentials, get this one instead.
- The maximum speed is 3.35 miles.
- It comes with a mount for your camera.
- This is one of the easiest underwater scooters to use.
- There are actually not a lot of negative reviews about this product.
Are you a professional diver? Get this one then. It can get you deeper in the water with its depth rating of 40m or 130 feet. The exterior is also built like a tank, so it should last you for a long time even when subjected to a lot of abuse. With normal use, the battery can last for as long as 90 minutes. With a speed of 4.35 mph, it is faster than many other underwater scooters out there. It even comes with a 3-level rotational speed control. You can also check how much more juice you have left with its battery level indicator.
- Has a battery level indicator that allows you to see just how much more power you have left.
- This underwater scooter runs faster than others.
- Has a solid design. It looks attractive and doesn’t seem to get damaged easily.
- The 3-level rotational speed control is a nice feature. It allows you to control how fast or slow you will go.
- This can go as deep as 130 feet.
- It can work for as long as 90 minutes.
- The price tag is hefty.
Which among these products is the most suitable choice for you?
Best Value: Yamaha Seascooters with Camera Mount Recreational Dive Series Underwater Scooter. This underwater scooter is neither too cheap nor too expensive. It is just right on the budget for all the features you can get in it. It has a decent size and performance. What makes this a hit amongst users is its long battery life.
Ideal for Kids: Yamaha Seascooters JetPilot Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter. Do you often go diving with your kids? Get them this one. It has a good depth and it is very easy to use even by kids. They will have tons of fun with this one as this can also be used in the pool.
Small but Powerful: Sublue US WhiteShark Mix Underwater Scooter. You don’t have to worry about bringing a big scuba scooter anymore. This is a portable one that is so lightweight, you won’t even notice it is there in your travel luggage. It has enough juice and power to allow you to enjoy diving even more.
For Professional Divers: Yamaha Seascooters Mount Professional Dive Series Underwater Scooter. If you are looking for more speed and depth, get this one. With so many cool features integrated in it, you can enjoy it for all your scuba diving expeditions.
Tips in Buying the Best Underwater Scooter
Are you ready now to buy the best underwater scooter? To make sure you are making a good buying decision, keep these tips in mind:
1. Find out how deep it can go.
Underwater scooters differ when it comes to power. Some scooters can go as deep as 65 feet while others might not have the structural integrity that can withstand underwater pressure. If you tend to go diving deeper, you would want to look for underwater scooters built like a tank, so they can work better in deeper diving settings.
2. Check out its speed.
How fast can it go? Typically, you would want something with about 2 mph of speed. That should be enough to propel you deeper without diving too fast that your body can’t adjust to the pressure. This is also a good speed as it will allow you to see more of your surroundings.
3. Find out how buoyant it is.
Buoyancy controls how well it will float on water. You would want something that has good buoyancy control when using it in salt water. That said, look for something that comes with a buoyancy control chamber.
4. Check its power source.
How is it operated? Underwater scooters are powered by batteries. Make sure you check what kind of battery it uses and how much that battery weighs. It is important that the battery is seale, so that no salt water can come in and cause corrosion.
5. Compare price.
Now find out how much the scooter will cost you. Of course, you would want to buy something that will suit your budget preferences. Generally, the more you spend on it, the better features you will get. But you can also find good quality scuba scooters for a competitive price.
6. Find out how much maintenance it needs.
Maintenance of your scuba scooter is vital when it comes to prolonging its life. Find out what sort of maintenance routine it requires and if you can accommodate that need. Some people might not have a lot of time to maintain their underwater scooter. Usually, the batteries will require maintenance to last long.
7. Does it readily come with a replacement for parts?
Another thing you would want to consider is if the scuba scooter has readily available parts. If you need to replace the battery, for instance, you would want to make sure that there are replacements that you can easily buy out there. Otherwise, you will have a hard time fixing your scuba scooter if ever it encounters issues.
Look for an underwater scooter from a good brand that can back everything up with quality service and fast parts replacement. Make sure they are able to ship the parts you need fast.
Whether you are a professional diver or not, make sure you have everything you need before going out in the water. Go visit our homepage to learn some tips on the best diving gears and equipment to buy.